iPhone: Obliterating the competition?


The iPhone is undoubtedly a very stylish and sophisticated mobile device that has greatly dominated the modern market. Everywhere you go you'll see people busy fiddling furiously away at their handhelds or deep in a lengthy and unnecessarily long conversation because they have so many free calls on their contract. Either that or hammering away at some gaming application that involves turning the device sideways in an awkward angular movement to dodge an obstacle in-game - While physically moving your body all over the place causing concern amongst passers-by. The iPhone is ultimately such a diverse piece of technology because it has so many different uses that make it ideal for both business and personal users.

Since the iPhone is an all-round beautiful device and can perform all the needs of the average user with such ease it makes it difficult for contending mobile devices to compete and still be in the same league. Handhelds like the Android and Blackberry smartphones have received some popularity but I can't help wonder what they would be like without the Apple iPhone to contend with. Apple is pushing all the other competitors out of the market but some might say it's simply pioneering the way forward for future technology by experimenting with touchscreen usability. The problem I have with the iPhone is that Apple have been greedy so-and-so's when it comes to connectivity with other software. And the incompatibility that iTunes is renowned for can irritate you the consumer when trying to modify the contents of your iPhone. Here are some great alternatives if you're looking for a smartphone but don't want the iPhone for whatever reason.

Like everything they all have positives and negatives though nothing's perfect but some are definitely better than others.

iPhone Alternatives

  • Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 - It seems to me like Microsoft is constantly trying to put the Windows software onto everything they can find when it is not needed. It's never going to be as good as a PC so why try? Sometimes people want to escape from the office not feel like the office is following them around.
  • Google's Android - Open platform phone means it is easier to become hacked.
  • Blackberry - Smaller screen than most smartphones and it is also not a touchscreen.
  • Samsung's Bada & Nokia's MeeGo - Less recognised mainly due to them being unable to adopt social media.

Below is Microsoft's Windows 7 Phone. Microsoft has battled long and hard to launch a handheld device that would be stylish but also functioning. So far with regards to the Zune MP4 Player they have not gathered the amount of support or sales that had been expected. This could quite possibly be because of the iPhone's dominant hold of the market and how it manages to capture everyone in a hivemind under the impression that the iPhone is the greatest mobile device that has ever existed.

Microsoft Windows 7 Phone

Technology is always going to improve so even holding back a year is going to open up unlimited possibilities as new advancements are made - The smartphones next year are always going to be better than the ones this year. Apple's iPhone is not going to hold to market forever but right now it is one of the most diverse - but not necessarily the best - smartphones on the market within a reasonable price range. Again it depends on what you're using it for but the iPhone is clever in that it suits every type of person and their activities, the vast range of available apps from their store make it suitable for any activity. You'll see other companies copying this idea on their phones. 

It has to be said that without the iPhone however I'm quite confident that phones like the Android and Blackberry would thrive more and be put to their full potential, as people realise how good they actually are. Something that is not appreciated enough while the iPhone has control of the market.

Comments

mtn said...

I'd rather take each of the given alternatives than ever buy an Iphone.. just overpriced fancy-looking crap

Lyeed said...

Well the latest BlackBerry has a touchscreen you know !

Truth Finder said...

apple/windows its an infinite loop of endless variety of both same worlds just different operating systems. really i would stick with windows. more to manipulate. but with macOS theres more endless possibilities.

Astronomy Pirate said...

I prefer my blackberry, the screen really doesn't need to be huge for me, I am willing to make that trade off for the full keyboard, which is pretty much the best reason to have a blackberry.

Tout-ou-rien-du-tout said...

i like the iphone.

Tasty said...

meh.. I never understood the whole "let's jump on this new item's bandwagon" thing. I can wait just fine. Like it's wayyy too expensive for me to try new shit like this lol.

My favorite phone I've ever had is like 8 years old, and I can throw the thing and not worry about it breaking. THAT is what I look for in products. Functionality, durability, dependability, and mechanical workings ie. for phones it would be the qwerty, if it feels nice etc.

Practicality>Style/Flashy/...Expensive :P

seamagpie said...

I would get the windows phone if I had money to spend on smart phones in general.

Tony Storm said...

apple spends a lot of time on iphone but imo the things are getting better and better but its also getting even more expensive

Tracerz said...

I got an ipod for free for opening up a bank account... I wasn't really interested in anything Apple had to offer, but I can't really afford a smartphone or a fancy mp3 player, so I jumped on this deal...
Well I've put Skype on it and turned it into a smartphone basically, as long as I have wifi.. and I could get mifi for $30 a month, plus the negligible cost for a skype #, and I've got a nice phone that I have actually fallen in love with. =/
I have no idea what I'm going to do when it dies. I really love my ipod phone, but I don't think I'll be willing to actually BUY an ipod/iphone for full price, ever.
Anyway, I'll end this prolix (thesaurus FTW) comment now. =D

metalpark_73192 said...

I'd rather buy an android phone. It's just as good and it's cheaper.

meandmythinkingcap said...

All that glitters isnt god..
Iphone is iphone .

'Auana said...

:/ anything by apple is subject to failure... they keep pumping out new phones and devices that should have been like that in the 1st place...

theyre just milking you for your money... stay away from apple...

lloyd redgrave said...

lol the playstation phone will destroy this thing

pennywise said...

I love people who use iphones. They break them and then I sell this for stupid amounts on ebay.

Glovey said...

I like the sony ericson X10! thanks for sharing!

lussos said...

I have an Iphone 4 and it's the first Apple product ive ever bought and it does have it's fair share of problems, but there's no phone i'd rather have

jeebus said...

Everything is going to be touch screen

obi said...

great post! my sister has an iphone... the think is glued to her face. following ;)

Nemesis said...

nice

Ajora said...

great blog sir! I was thinking of getting the iphone or the android. Don't really have he money right now unfortunately.

Ammmp said...

heh, yeah Id take the alternatives too.

mmmpieohyeah said...

I was over the impression that the Iphone was becomeing less and less favored...

l33 v4n cl33f said...

honestly i have tried a lot of phones and nothing comes close to the iphone.

sabrina said...

im not an apple fan but i do hope that nokia and windows make a better phone than the iphone

h88mans said...

Not an apple fan at all, over priced hardware for hipsters.
I am also not really a fan of smart phones I would just prefer to take a bog-standard phone and a laptop around with me, bigger screen more to do.

Michael Santo said...

A few days ago, I read that Apple would bring out an Iphone at half the price.

M. said...

I think the playstation phone thing will give it some competition

Guys I'm Freaking Out!!! said...

I don't even have a cellphone these days and I'm amazed by how much people flip out about them.

Erasmus said...

A jailbroken iphone can do pretty much anything. That's what makes it reign supreme in my mind. They only thing I've wanted to do that it couldn't do is crack wifi passwords on the go, due to a hardware based inability to modify packets. But then again, not having that functionality has likely saved me from getting in trouble, so eh.

Three Cheers for Calvin said...

you should check out the epic phone.

Murray said...

I really like the looks of that new Windows phone, but I think I'll stick with my Blackberry.

LifeHacks said...

I'm buying an Evo today!

Started a new blog!

http://randomstoriesnessays.blogspot.com/

Brendan McCarty said...

meh, i love my android :)

The Pokemon Master-er said...

I love my Iphone4, but it was soo expensive ..

Shockwave said...

Windows 7 phones piss all over iphones. I own a HTC 7 Trophy and I've matched it up against my friends iphone 4.

Chax said...

Meh. Android Tablet + Skype = what i like
I love my archos 5.
Nice blog. Keep it up.
/Following

Tó Rock said...

Iphone FTW!

Daniel Andrade said...

android just over passes iphone in almost everything. Device Prices, community, app,...

the only problem is that the latest version is not available for all devices at same time.

BlowingInTheWind said...

Always wanted an iphone :( made do with a HTC as it was available on a better deal price wise

Bobby said...

I don't even like the iPhones... they are too complicated for me. I know others who love them though...

Neuro said...

It'll be interesting to see how the microsoft phone fares, my prediction is it'll bomb

Wolfdog said...

I enjoy my Android base phone more then my Iphone when i had it. I think there is more promise with the Android base system then the Mac based.

xMuku said...

I have the iPhone 4 and it works great. Not to say I wouldnt mind trying the windows 7 phone. I already had a blackberry and that was fun too.

iNeonGenesis said...

Nice blog, I think that the iPhone is way too popular and I would like to seem some alternatives moving up in the market.

Dragamex said...

Nice write up brotha. Following!

theb0mb.com said...

Can't wait to see iPhone 5 on Verizon. AT&T's iPhone 5 might may rfid I heard for purchasing though, I hope Verizon's doesn't have this..

kaboomix said...

Yeah... I have an iphone:D

Ipods and Iphones really hold the market by the balls right now. I remember in school a few years back, friends would come up to you and ask "What kind of ipod do you have?", ipod in this case meaning mp3 player, but because Apple did such a good job with the ipod some people think that it's the only mp3 player out there..

Following!

Unrelated Randomness

Alan said...

the iphone is the first socially acceptable consumer smart phone.


it changed everything.

Kerykeion said...

Havent android sales outgrown iphone sales atm?

Rico said...

The apps is what sells me on the iPhone. I've had it from start can't imagine using another phone. good read!

Drew said...

Nice blog. Pls add me to the morning coffee list! :D
musingcomposer.blogspot.com

M3some said...

Thats awesome!

http://twitter.com/#!/s0urlem0ns

Follow me! add 2 MC please.

clickie and views!

Ono Mock-O said...

Good post. Followed

littledinobug said...

I happen to really like our Iphone4. It's a phone, camera, and child entertainment center all in one (As in if we're waiting somewhere for a long time...one can play with my Ipod touch and one can play with the Iphone.)

Art Vandelay said...

I had an iPhone 4 for a couple months. Switched to a Blackberry 9780 and prefer it much more to an iphone.

f0rwhatitsworth said...

i like my iphone but it is a mac. it crashes sometimes and i hate it. i use it as an alarm clock, so i wish it were more reliable.

JWtechparts said...

i have thought that the windows 7 phone would be a good alternative. i was testing one out in store and the user interface was seemless. it is a real contender for my first smartphone.

Eve Blog said...

Working in cellphones Im pretty sure that currently iOS is the best out there.

Niko said...

The only thing I bought from Apple was an ipod. Not much of an apple fan to be honest.

Jorge said...

The iPhone is fun when it's jailbroken.

Spongeworthy said...

rooting for WP7, Microsoft is now the underdog.

FTW said...

Ive got Android too and cant live with out -.-

FlyinFish said...

I don't get why people are in such a hype over the iphone. As you pointed out there are many alternativs out there that do that same thing and in the end are way cheaper.

LegendaryLiNX said...

The iPhone is the best phone.

Mr. Storyteller said...

I liked the iphone but there are better smartphones out there

The Governor said...

sorry but my evo kicks the iphones ass

Jay Cockson said...

I kind of question how far along the smartphone market would be if the iPhone never came along. It seemed to pretty much catch everyone off guard, and still has the majority of the market despite several other worthy contenders. Honestly I dig the iPhone mostly because it is hard to break. Fewer moving parts to wear out mean as long as you keep the screen against your body it will last you basically forever. I do want to see someone 1up it though, so everyone will have to get off their ass and make something better instead of just working off of what is already there. A little more flexibility with other programs would be nice too (cough cough, flash, ahem).

Guys I'm Freaking Out!!! said...

Or you could, y'know, have a lan-line, or a desktop with Skype on it.

JMiranda said...

nice view

Luke Parker said...

I'm on the Google Android phone and love it.

Smog Town Leaf said...

I don't have any of these devices, but have been actively looking for one. Very helpful, keep it up.

ReidTech said...

The iphone has never been something I have been into, its like a glorfied laptop. But the windows phone looks more refreshing for me.

T3CH said...

I think the iPhone is best here ...